This page lists all my efforts on this blog to “Optimize Your Life Around the Catholic Faith”. My overall goal is to aid you on your faith journey to sainthood and to heaven to love God for all eternity. It is not easy, and I’m not there myself either, but nearly everything on this blog is part of this goal.
- Reflections on Loving God – Reflections to help you understand love more and improve your relationship with God.
- Catholic Insights – Insights that may help the reader improve their faith.
- Catholic Analysis – Analysis of Catholic writings by the Popes, Church, saints, and more.
- Personal Thoughts – Personal things that affect my outlook on life and the Catholic faith.
- Entertainment Thoughts – Various thoughts on Catholic works and other entertainment.
- Personal Catechism – The ideals I live by, and an example for others to make their own ideals.
Reflections on Loving God
Everything God calls you to do can be broken down into just one commandment: to love. The whole faith is God’s way to teach you how to love. In fact, everything that God does is love, so the whole faith is simply God teaching you how to be like him. With all the many details in the Bible, it’s easy to lose sight of this bigger picture. In Reflections on Loving God, the focus is completely on love and loving God, so that you can some day achieve perfect union with God.
I have listed the reflections in the order I wrote them as well as separated by category, depending on your interest:
- Introduction, 11/01/2018 – A letter to you about why I started this project, how it can help you, and what to look forward to.
- Reflection #1: Love and Relationships, Definitions of Love, 11/08/2018 – A lengthy examination of how love acts in relationships including your relationship with God.
- Reflection #2: God Loves You through the Gift of Your Life, How God Loves You, 11/14/2018 – God’s ultimate love for you as well as how he loves you in every moment of life.
Definitions of Love:
- Reflection #1: Love and Relationships, 11/08/2018 – A lengthy examination of how love acts in relationships including your relationship with God.
How God Loves You:
- Reflection #2: God Loves You through the Gift of Your Life, 11/14/2018 – God’s ultimate love for you as well as how he loves you in every moment of life.
Ways to Love God:
- Coming soon!
Insights aren’t really new information, just a different view of the same thing. Since everyone learns differently, some people will find one explanation easier to understand than another. Many times insights come to me while studying the faith that help me gain new understanding. Then I write them down in case they can benefit anyone else. Sometimes these will be a different way of looking at some aspect of the faith, which can change how a person sees it going forward. Other times these will be short guides with the idea to help you become better at practicing the faith.
- Avoiding Perfectionism, 9/28/2017 – The difference between perfectionism and the strive for perfection that all Catholics are called to; Catholics are not perfectionists.
- The Four Catholic Vocations, 5/12/2017 – A brief explanation of vocations recognized by the Catholic faith and how single life fits in.
- There is No Luck but God, 4/17/2017 – What luck really means and how it doesn’t really fit the Catholic faith.
- Simple Living for Catholics Part 2: Examples, 3/27/2017 – A detailed illustration showing how to implement Catholic simple living in your family life.
- Simple Living for Catholics Part 1: Definition and Practice, 3/25/2017 – The basic idea of simple living for Catholics.
- What is Good Prayer?, 3/17/2017 – How to pray with a deep sense of meaning that you will love and cherish your prayer time every day.
- The Importance of Chastity, 3/10/2017 – How the lack of chastity has greatly damaged modern relationships.
- Culpability for Sins Related to Addiction, 3/03/2017 – How to discern culpability for sins related to addiction.
- The Progression of Faith, 2/27/2017 – The stages of the faith journey, where the believer goes from easy beliefs to harder beliefs.
- The Real Way to Make America Great Again, 2/24/2017 – How the family is the bedrock of society and raising good children is required for a great society.
- The Hidden Dangers of Modern Communication for Children, 2/20/17 – How parents need to protect their children from the Internet, including a summary of the many dangers posed to children through this new medium.
- Maintaining the Trinity of Our Health, 2/17/17 – The importance of evaluating the mind, body, and spirit to know where they stand and what to change.
- What Heaven Will Be Like, 2/13/17 – A detailed description of the unimaginable goodness of heaven.
- What Hell Will Be Like, 2/10/2017 – A detailed description of the horrible reality of hell.
- God’s Answer to Concupiscence, 2/06/2017 – Accepting God’s grace to counter our tendency to sin.
- The Way God Works, 2/03/2017 – How God does work in the world and what it means for Catholics.
- The Challenge of Tough Times, 1/30/2017 – Facing tough times and coming out stronger.
- Catholic Responsibility, 1/30/2016 – The unique responsibility God has given to Catholics.
- The Downward Spiral of Sin, 1/16/2016 – How one sin leads to another and one way to fight against this.
- Praying the Rosary with Meaning, 1/15/2016 – Ideas to help your Rosary prayers reach new spiritual heights.
- Using the Rosary for Discernment, 12/28/2015 – The Rosary is a versatile prayer that can be adapted to meditate on things besides the Mysteries, primarily for discernment.
- There is only Good and Evil, 12/19/2015 – Every word, thought, or action is one of two states of morality. There is no such thing as gray.
- God’s Will vs. God’s will, 12/18/2015 – How the same phrase is used in two very different ways.
- Time in Heaven, 12/18/2015 – Unlike many Catholics, I believe time exists in heaven, my defense inside.
- Being Humble in Our Achievements, 12/18/2015 – How much credit we deserve for our achievements.
- Compensating for Sinful Actions, 12/18/2015 – Good deeds cannot compensate for bad deeds, yet good deeds still helps indirectly.
There is a wealth of knowledge out there from the Popes, the Church, the saints, and other religious people. Real growth in the faith can happen while reading these, so I try to find interesting content in these sources and write about it here. While I primarily study writings, I leave the option open to study other Catholic works such as movies. It is easiest to study writing as the author has the time to really dig deep into theology.
- Catholic Reference Lists, 4/2/2018 – A reference page containing several lists of Catholic beliefs or doctrine, such as the Ten Commandments.
- Wise Words in “Amoris Laetitia” – A multipart series that explores all the words of wisdom contained in this lengthy apostolic exhortation by Pope Francis. This is currently on hold for Reflections on Loving God. Sorry! I will return to it when I am able.
- Part 1 – Paragraphs 1-12, 11/20/2017
- Part 2 – Paragraphs 13-25, 12/12/2017
- Part 3 – Paragraphs 27-38, 1/5/2018
- Part 4 – Paragraphs 39-46, 2/6/2018
- Part 5 – Paragraphs 47-57, 3/20/2018
- 7 Easy Questions to Prepare for Confession According to Fr. Larry Richards’ Speech on Confession, 3/29/2017 – A list of questions to ponder before the Sacrament of Confession that covers the most common serious sins.
- The Depth of the Commandments According to the Catechism of the Catholic Church, 1/10/2016 – A short explanation of the progression from general to specific commandments with the opposing sins. Includes a chart that summarizes the text.
- The Top Ten Qualities of Jesus According to the Bible, 12/17/2015 – I read all four Gospels writing down the qualities Jesus exhibited in all his actions and how often. I then ranked them to get a list of Jesus’ most dominant qualities. Inspired by an exercise in Be a Man by Fr. Larry Richards.
The original purpose of this project was to help me reduce my attachments to material goods. I would write my thoughts about something to preserve my memories and then give it away. That’s all done now, so these days I only write thoughts on Catholic works in case it helps fellow believers pick out books to read or movies to watch.
- Entertainment Thoughts – The main archive of all my thoughts on entertainment.
- Catholic Thoughts – A subcategory containing my thoughts on Catholic entertainment, mostly books.
- Catholic Thoughts – A subcategory containing my thoughts on Catholic entertainment, mostly books.
Sometimes I write about more personal things to give readers a fuller picture of who I am and how that influences my efforts to guide the reader to sainthood. Personal Thoughts is mostly a catch-all for any post that doesn’t fit in the above Projects. This blog will never become a journal, but I do want people to have some idea who I am.
- My Favorite Saints, 1/3/2018 – The saints I ask prayers of and why.
- The Easy Yoke, 12/26/2017 – Becoming happy during suffering.
- The Suffering Servant, 3/06/2017 – How I reflect Jesus.
- Social Anxiety, 1/31/2016 – Information about a health problem I am living with.
- The Games I Don’t Play, 1/09/2016 – A few rules I follow when deciding which video games to play.
- What Being Catholic Means to Me, 1/03/2016 – The reasons I chose the Catholic faith.
This project was the original reason I created this blog but is now discontinued. As I started to think about how I needed to change, I came up with several things I wanted to be doing on a regular basis. I decided to put them on a website for convenience. Then I could easily give people I met the link to explain why I acted the way I did. The initial result of the work I did was this “book”, listing out all my ideals. It was a great first effort, but over a few years I found God leading me in a new direction. I like many of the ideals here and still follow them, but my focus is now the heart of the faith: love.
Personal Catechism Book:
- Chapter 1: Prayer
- Chapter 2: Study of the Faith
- Chapter 3: Teaching of Others
- Chapter 4: Service
- Chapter 5: Work
- Chapter 6: Health
- Chapter 7: Leisure
- Chapter 8: Money
Yearly Examinations of Ideals: